Saturday, 16 February 2013

Laziest Chocolate Cake EVER

Yes indeed, you heard it right, the laziest chocolate cake is coming at you through the medium of a blog post.  And it would have been perfectly timed to coincide with OD-on-chocolate-alone Day/ Valentine's Day/ 14th February  but I was too busy eating 'cake' to worry about things like timing or the fact that 'he hasn't text me back' (he hasn't, but whatever...)

So 'Cake in a Mug', we've all heard of it, and if you haven't then I had better prepare myself for the torrent of pure gratitude heading my way upon you reading this! Its great.  That is all there is to it!

I like to think of myself as a mug cake connoisseur, I've made all the classic errors:

  • Mug too small
  • Olive oil
  • too long in the microwave
  • not enough sugar
... the list goes on.

I am at the point where I make a bloody good mug cake- which is worrying.  I may never make a conventional cake again! 

All it takes is: 
  1. A large mug or a bowl (microwavable, duh)
  2. 3 tablespoons of self-raising flour
  3. 2 tablespoons of sugar
  4. 2 tbsp of coco powder
  5. 2-3 tbsp MELTED BUTTER (seriously, much better) or oil (not with a strong flavour!) 
  6. tbsp of milk
  7. 1 egg- OPTIONAL
  8. tsp honey OPTIONAL
(before- no egg)

Why is the egg optional? Because without it you can eat the mixture straight out of the bowl and not have to worry about food poisoning, wehey! Personally I like the texture it makes without it too, even if you just warm the mixture up it thickens slightly and is delicious.  Leave it a minute of two and it is fairly cakey in texture.

(after- no egg, but TOO MUCH SUGAR ARGH!) 


THE KEY element to this however, is ignoring the list of ingredients as a) improvisation is always fun, b) this tastes better if you don't remind yourself that you are eating 3 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of sugar etc ... 

I hope this fills a hole that spending Valentine's Day alone did not.  Not that one though- cheeky. 


3 comments:

  1. I'm speechless at this point, yet intrigued. I'm probably going to try that when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely be careful with the sugar, and do a taste test with each amount you put in I would say :)

    I will also be testing a recipe for a Golden Syrup Sponge in a Mug (phew- mouthful!) soon, if I can hunt down some golden syrup that is!!

    Hope this turns out ok! Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks super easy I am so doing this at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete